Saturday, June 03, 2006

A thoroughly wasted day

I hate when a day is wasted and there's nothing I can do to recover the lost time.
Three days ago, when I had the tentative day ready, I called the ferry company to inquire about booking passage on the ferry to Finland. The lady on the phone told me that I could not make a reservation if I was using my Eurail pass to pay - I needed to go directly to the port agent in Rostock. So I packed up my things, left Berlin, and checked into a hostel for the night (the only hostel in Rostock is actually quite nice - Gerhardt, one of the owners, insisted upon carrying all my bags up the stairs and showing me EVERYTHING about the hostel, then lent me a guide book). It took me two hours to get to the port agent (which is only 13 km from the hostel - public transportation sucks here) and they were closed! The office is only open between 9 pm and 5 am everyday, to check people in for morning departures. WTF! It took me another two hours to get back to the hostel (this time it was raining). I decided I would take a shower and wait for the office to open, then call them and find out what the plan is. When I called three minutes after nine, the lady informed me that they were fully booked for tomorrow's ferry - I can't sail til Monday! Which only leaves me with two days in Helsinki and a day with nothing to do in Rostock. And I still have to figure out how to get there. The S-bahn stops running at 11 pm and doesn't start up again until 6 am (which is the departure time). I think I can check in starting at 10 pm the night before, so I guess that will have to do. Grrrr. I hate it when other people screw up my day. I want to go to Finland!
Of course, this means I have a day to explore the landmarks of Rostock - the world's oldest working astronomical clock and the goat market. Fun stuff.

No comments: