Sunday, May 28, 2006

Munich

Sorry to have been a bit out of touch for a few days - time has been flying by here in Munich and I'm just now catching up.
I arrived here on Friday morning, still recovering from my final night in Salzburg. Even though they had told me to be here by noon to be able to keep my reservation at the hostel, they wouldn't let me check in until 2 pm, so I had to find some way to entertain myself til then. I wandered about the city (which is very beautiful, I must say), then came back and fell asleep on the very comfy couch in the bar at the hostel. I didn't really do much for the rest of the day - continued my nap in my bed (one of twenty in my room), found something to eat, then just read and fell asleep. Altogether a relaxing day.
Yesterday I went on the much talked about Mike's Bike Tour of Munich. It was so much fun! I hadn't been on a bike since I left Dallas, so it was nice to pedal around for awhile. And the guides were so much fun - they described their tour as "the most fun you can have in Munich with your pants on." It was so true. Halfway through the tour we stopped at one of the really big beer gardens (the kind that serve whole liters of beer), and had a little break - then we had 60 beer-filled tourists all pedaling back to the bike shop. It was hilarious. The guides also told us about a nightlife tour going on in the evening and gave us discounts, so I ended up going on that as well with a couple of the other "bikers." All in all it was a spectacular day.
Today was fun, but I didn't do a whole heck of a lot. I woke up late (a side effect of the pub crawl), then went to the Bavarian National Museum. Very cool indeed - though nothing was in English. It was raining when I left, so I stopped at the Hofbrauhaus (Munich's biggest beer garden). Great lunch break.
Now I'm just chillin out again back at the hostel. I think I'll go get a good dinner tonight - I need one.

No comments: