Thursday, May 25, 2006

Being in the right place at the right time

I think I may have made the most of my final day in Salzburg. I woke up fairly early this morning, had a hearty Austrian breakfast, then hopped on a bus with one of my roommates to go visit Schloss Hellbrunn and its famous "water-trick fountains." It was superfun - we got really wet at one point. And all the little kids were having a fun trying to get their parents wet. After the tour of the fountains, we went and played on the playground - always a fun thing to do. It was a really fun playground too, the kind you don't see any more in America because of stupid parents who sue people for their children's stupidity. I ended up lying on the grass there for about two hours, catching up on my reading. Luckily I remembered to put sunscreen on this time - it was really pretty out, but hot.
I decided at some point that I should head back to the hostel and start packing. I always say that jI'm going to do it early, but it never really happens until the last minute. And today was no exception. As I was heading back across the river, I couldn't help but notice the unusually large crowd lining both banks. And traffic was blocked off as well. Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to stick around and see what was happening. I figured it was just going to be some parade, as today is a national holiday in Austria (don't ask what holiday, I don't really know). Not two minutes after I sat down on the river bank, a plane suddenly swooped out of the sky and began doing tricks over the river. Obviously, this must be what everyone was waiting to see. It was really cool - at one point the pilot even flew beneath one of the pedestrian bridges (don't worry, no one was allowed on the bridge at that point).
After the plane flew away, I got up to continue on my mission to get packed for Munich. But once again I couldn't help but notice how everyone was gathering along the blocked off streets. Then cops started coming by making sure everyone was backing up behind the barricades. What I didn't know was that there was a classic sports car rally going on - the Stadt Grand Prix. All of a sudden, all these really spiffy racers started zooming by. It was AWESOME. I spent about 2 hours watching them race through the streets of Salzburg. One of the drivers had a golden retriever as a co-pilot - complete with goggles! Only in Europe would such a race take place. Uncle Todd would have loved being here today.
Don't worry, all you car fans - I bought a program that has pictures and stats on all the cars and drivers so you can see it when I get home :-D.
I ran out of space on my UTD site, so I won't be able to load any more pictures for a couple of days until I find another place to store them. And I'll fix the broken "Salzburg3" page ASAP as well. I'll keep you all posted.

No comments: