Monday, May 08, 2006

Plzen, the home of Pilsner

Seeing as how I had to be out of my room at 10 and the train for Budapest doesn't leave until 23.05, I decided to take a little trip. I hopped on a train to Plzen, about an hour and a half from Prague, to visit the birthplace of the Pilsner beer. All others are apparently copies of the Pilsner Urquell (or the "Pilsner original").
The tour was definitely neat. The old lady guiding us had the funniest accent - it sounded more German than Czech. My favorite quote from her - "For us in Czech Republic, beer is not liquor, it is bread. I drink my beer everyday, and I am 95 years old, so it cannot be bad."
So now that I'm back in Prague, I have about 5 hours to kill. I think I'll walk back over to the Charles Bridge and find something to do.

No comments: