Friday, May 12, 2006

Bumming about in Budapest

Considering the fact that I lost one of my favorite items just a few days ago, I find it amazing that I have completely fallen in love with this city. I've had such a great time. I even extended my stay by a day. Of course that meant I had to change hostels for this final night, but it was actually quite easy - "Buda" (the hostel guy in the picture) did everything for me. The hostels I stayed at are amazing - I definitely recommend both the Aboriginal and the Boomerang (run by the same people - the Aboriginal is a bit older and had more partying going on). It was like living in an apartment again. It's a bit quiet tonight at the Boomerang - just me and a bunch of Aussies who have just left for the pub down the street. I always had someone to hang out with staying here, but didn't have to worry about pleasing any traveling buddies - cause it's just me a Frog. If you are interested in the Adventures of Frog by the way, I've started it up at http://www.utdallas.edu/~hef042000/Frog.
I had some wonderful food today. Liam (the guy who manages this new hostel) recommended a pub where I could get some really good goulash. They served it to me in a kettle on a little flame. It was definitely cool.
I'm just chillin out tonight. I've been running around all week, so I decided to rest tonight so I can get up really early tomorrow morning. I want to walk up to the castle on the Buda side of the river before all the tourists get out of bed. Then I'll pack up and catch the train to Vienna at 13.10. Not the night train. I learned my lesson.
I have done so much here that it's kind of hard for me to share it all. I went to two very different bath houses. Today it was Szechinyi (I think that's how it's spelled). It's inside the city park. It's huge, with a big outdoor swimming pool. I got a bit pissed off because I had to wait in line for about an hour to get in. Quite different from the Rudas baths where I walked in. Of course, Rudas was very different. First of all, it is one of the older style bath houses - it's like walking into a cave. There are different temperatures of water that you go back and forth between, and a steam room and sauna, and you can pay extra for massages. The only thing about Rudas that I would warn against is be prepared for lots of skin. Until quite recently, Rudas was for men only. Now they have "ladies only" hours two days a week. Because it's not mixed gender, most of the women go all-naturale. I kept my suit on though - I'm such an American. Szechinyi is much more touristy - everyone's in bathsuits, though most are really tiny. Still, the atmosphere is really neat in Rudas - worth the visit, if you aren't too embarrased.
Yesterday was gorgeous. I spent most of the morning roaming around down by the Danube. Walked up and down the Buda and the Pest side, and across the bridges. Mostly I was testing out the new camera. I think I got one that will work nicely. At least until I can replace the Rebel.
Last night I ended up going to an open-air club with a couple of aussie girls staying at with me at the Aboriginal. It was really cool - right on the water and easy to get to on the night bus. And the cover was only 100 forints - that's 50 cents! I wish covers were that low in Dallas. I would definitely go out more.
Well, I'm going to get some sleep. I want to wake up early tomorrow so that I can walk up to the castle before the tourists, then I have to catch a train.
More to come later of course.

No comments: