Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Getting there is half the battle...

The last 24 hours have been ... interesting, to say the least. All of my camera equipment was stolen right out from under my nose while I was on the train to Budapest. It is a shame, because this is such a wonderful city.
As is this hostel. It is basically a little apartment with about 16 beds squeezed into two rooms. That may sound aweful to some of you, but I love it - I've met so many cool people just in the last day. It's a lot more social than the place I stayed in Prague. And the lady does our laundry for free!
One of the girls staying here sort of showed me around - we tried to go one of the turkish baths but got the time wrong, so we climbed to the top of the largest hill in Buda (that's the west side of the city), which over looks the Danube and all of Pest. We ran into one of the guys staying with us at the top, so we sat and had lunch with him, then we wandered back and we to the big local market just on the Pest side of the green bridge (that may sound funny, but the bridges are conveniently color-coded).
I think I'm going to go find an electronics store in a bit. I'm going to buy some cheap digital camera so that I can take snapshots, and I'll replace my Rebel later on. And I'll be a lot less stupid from now on (though, for the record, I don't know how they got to the camera stuff - I am very protective of my bags - there is some talk of gas canisters being used for very similar thefts on that same night train, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did he take your brand new expensive camera? That sucks! Was it insured and such? Stupid train robber...

Anonymous said...

Hannah -- don't worry about the loss -- I told Todd I'd be happy to help replace it.

We're so very proud of you -- you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Hang in there --

Your other uncle, . . . Glen in CA