Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Okay, a real entry

Sorry if I got any of you to worrying with that last post. I was a bit upset, to say the least. It's a long story, and I think I'll have to wait a week or too before I can fully explain it, but let's just say that things here haven't been going exactly as advertised. I'm fine and having a good time, don't get me wrong. But I signed up for certain things and am in reality doing something completely different. I'm taking a Russian Literature course IN RUSSIAN - which is cooler than cool, but wasn't exactly what I had in mind for the semester. And I'm not even sure I'm going to get credit for it - the courses I had preapproved don't seem to actually exist. Hmmm. What's going on?
Anyway, I have been having a good time. Every day more students join from other countries. I met a group of students from Antwerp, Belgium yesterday and they are in one of my classes (for now anyway - they may change). And I am supposedly getting a roommate tomorrow who is also from Belgium, though from another city and university. There's a girl in my Literature and Style classes from Germany (somewhere in Bavaria, but I don't know what city exactly) - she's pretty cool.
Oh, that dang literature course. When I said I wanted to read War and Peace in Russian one day, I didn't think it would be so soon. War and Peace and others. Oh boy. I'm in trouble. Should have brought a better dictionary. I see a trip to the bookstore in my future.
Natalya is taking me and Adam (one of the other Americans) to the Decemberists Museum on Friday (the political/social movement, not the band :-D). That should be cool. And there's an outting to Lake Baikal sometime later this month. Woohoo.
Alright. I'm serious though, about calling me. I feel better everytime I talk to someone from home. Thanks to those who already have (and to Iris for taking the full forceof my fury by being the first).
Off to lunch...

No comments: