Thursday, September 14, 2006

Okay, I think I've gotten everything pretty much sorted out. I still haven't made it to the Regional Studies course, but I have gotten confirmation that it really does exist, and the time I now have written down is correct. So next week, next week.
I'm also now taking a class in decorative and applied arts of Siberia. It should be interesting, I guess. I'm not sure I'll get credit for it though.
That's the thing - I know what I'm doing and everything now, but I don't know how things are going to go with tranfering the credit. Only two of my pre-approved courses are actually happening. Hmmm, I think I need to talk to someone in OIE or the A&H office back home.
On a happier note, I think I'm going to go to the lake this weekend (THE lake - as in Lake Baikal, which holds 20% of the world's fresh water). It's still up in the air (waiting on others to get their stuff together), but I definitely want to get out of the city for a few days - and see the lake before the winter really sets in.
Also, I need some advice. I'm trying to find a way to visit friends in China. The problem is, the nearest consulate is in Ulan-Baatar (Mongolia), which is 36 hours away by train. I don't need a Mongolian visa, but it will take me at least a day or two to get a Chinese visa there, then another day and a half to Beijing. I can fly back to Irkutsk from there for about $175, but I'm wandering if it's worth the time and money. I mean, as long as I am this far from home, might as well go a bit further. What's one more country? And any other chance I get to go to China will be much more expensive. Also, I'll have to miss about a week of classes (I think - we might have a few days off though). What do yall think - is it worth it?

No comments: