Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Something odd I've noticed

I just want to make a quick comment about something I find interesting. Even though I know the two languages are in no way linguistically related, Finnish sounds an aweful lot like Spanish to my ears. I don't know if it's the tempo at which they speak or the pronouciation or what, but I keep feeling like I'm in Spain (except for the whole temperature thing). I said something to this effect to the waitress at dinner tonight, and she agreed. She had apparently been to California recently and kept on turning her head, thinking she had heard someone speaking Finnish, but on closer listening it turned out to be Spanish. Odd you may think, but I had a similar experience in Budapest. Hungarian is actually the language most closely related to Finnish (both are nearly impossible for foreigners to learn), yet I kept on thinking I was hearing English being spoken. Maybe it's just my ears longing for home. I don't really know. Anyway, I just thought I'd share. It doesn't really matter in any case - everyone here speaks English very well, so I'm getting along just fine without a word in Finnish.
Now that it's 11:30 and finally getting dark, I think I'll go to bed.

No comments: