Thursday, November 23, 2006

Yay for subtitles!

I bought a copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today – the movie, not the book (you may recall that I already purchased a Russian version of the book). I was thrilled to discover that not only does the disc have English and Russian language tracks and subtitles (and the Russian dubbing is actually rather good), but for some as-yet unknown reason, it also includes Swedish and Icelandic. Now I’m rather curious as to why the makers of this DVD found it necessary to include these last two languages. While I’m excited by the prospect of watching the movie in Swedish with Icelandic subtitles, I’m not quite sure how many people in this part of the world would find this feature useful. You’d think they might include Mongolian or Ukrainian or another neighboring language. But who knows – maybe the makers of this version were trying to convince Ikea that the grounds in Mother Russia are fertile enough for more of their stores.

Of course, the language options on this disc are nothing in comparison to the copy of Almost Famous that I bought in St. Petersburg. While the only spoken languages are English and Russian, the number of subtitles is astonishing…

  1. English
  2. Russian
  3. Hindi
  4. Polish/Polski
  5. Czech/Cesky
  6. Hungarian/Magyar
  7. Icelandic/Islenska
  8. Hebrew/Ivrit
  9. Croatian/HRVATSKI
  10. Bulgarian
  11. Turkish
  12. Danish/Dansk
  13. Swedish/Svenska
  14. Greek
  15. Arabic
  16. Spanish/Español
  17. Portuguese/Portugues
  18. Norwegian/Norsk
  19. Finnish/Suomi

I was half expecting number 20 to be Elfish, but I guess that would really be pushing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What,,,no Pig Latin?