Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Stupid people ruin my day again...

Against my better judgement, I feel the need to update my blog, seeing as how I've not been doing a very good job of communicating with everyone back home.
This weekend was pretty calm. I didn't get to the university in time to register on Friday, so they told me to wait until Tuesday (because Monday was a national holiday and everyone was gone). That left me with nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs until then. Soooo, I did what I have been doing the whole trip when I have time to kill - I wandered about the city. I figured out which bus to take to get to Nevsky Prospekt (their version of Fifth Avenue), and it just happens to be the same one that goes to the University from the dorm. I walked the entire length of the street (not a short walk) and back, then found out how to get to the museum and the Youth Center and all the other places I need to go while I'm here. I even found a good book store that sells books in English.
Tuesday morning I was supposed to meet up with the rest of the group at their dorm (why I'm in a different one I still haven't figured out) at 10 am. Nastya met me at the metro station (FYI - don't take the St. Petersburg metro during rush hour) and showed me how to get to the dorm. Then we all hopped on a bus for a riding tour of the city's architecture. It was like having class on wheels. It was sort of fun, but I think we all got a little bit overheated. There was no air conditioning on the bus and the sun was very bright. After that I had to split off from the group again and head back to the University to continue my mission to get registered. The associate dean was back from the holiday and told me to go take a language assessment and take the results to another office to get into the right class. I did this, but the lady said I could only be in the class that meets at 12.50 each day. Completely impossible, since my art classes don't start until 11 am and usually last a few hours. And when would I eat lunch?
I tried to go back to the dean this morning, but the lady told me he wouldn't be in until 11, and I had a class at the Hermitage at 10. I went to the art class, then left early to go to the language class, and by the time that let out, the dean had already left for the day. His secretary told me he won't be in tomorrow until noon - and I have two classes at that time! I can't be in two places at once, much less three, so I have no idea what I'm going to do. I left there and headed to the Youth Center (to check my mail and what not) and there I ran into Elena (the program coordinator here in St. Petes). She freaked out when I told her my story and that I hadn't eaten anything but a slice of pizza (last night) in the last two days. She sent me straight to a cafe with a promise to help me fix things up afterwards. Hmmmm. I guess I need to find her again.
Confused yet? Not nearly as much as I am, I assure you.
What am I doing?
I have faith that things will work out, I just don't know why they have to be so complicated.
I'll try and keep everyone up to date on how it turns out.
Oh, and I'm going to buy a cell phone sometime this week, so you can all call me. :-D

No comments: